Lintop is a post series related to my linux desktopfull course
- 1. Lintop – A new world – Linux desktop based on ASRock Q1900m µATX
- 2. Lintop – long live the Queen or “GO Ubuntu”
- 3. Lintop – One keyboard/mouse to rule them all – Synergy-project.org
- 4. Lintop – Safety first – Automated backup with Clonezilla booting from USB drive
On top of my desk there are to PC systems right now. A Windows 8.1 box which is capable to run “apps” in full screen mode 🙂 and the Lintop Ubuntu box. I searched for a solution which enables me to use just one keyboard/mouse but control both screens. I found the Synergy project. This is really a cool solution and worth the few dollars.
Watch this video to understand how it works.
Some points why this is great for me:
- If you are in full screen mode playing a shooter (Windows) -> The mouse will not jump to another box.
- But if you press “Esc”, so a mouse pointer will be shown -> you can jump to the other screen
- The game will not be minimized when you set “Don’t take foreground window on Windows servers”
- define smaller areas where to jump to another box and where not to jump
- Multiple screen support
- Copy&Paste clipboard from one box to the other
- MacOS, Linux and Windows support
A screenshot of my simple configuration: